Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

Marriage in Switzerland: Preparation process

The future bridegroom or bride has to submit an application for preparation of marriage to the Registry Office of the place where the marriage shall take place.

For this purpose, the fiancé/e living in Albania must come personally to our embassy.

The information sheets below will inform you about the procedure to follow for a marriage to be celebrated in Switzerland between a Albanian citizen and a foreign or Swiss citizen living in Switzerland:  

Heirat in der Schweiz (PDF, 303.9 kB, German)

Mariage en Suisse (PDF, 353.4 kB, French)

Martesë në Zvicër (PDF, 289.6 kB, Albanian)

Gesuch um Vorbereitung der Eheschliessung (PDF, 22.1 kB, German)  
Demande en vue du mariage (PDF, 21.9 kB, French)                                
Domanda in vista del matrimonio (PDF, 21.9 kB, Italian)

Should any documents of civil status have been issued outside Albania, please contact the Regional Consular Centre prior to submitting the documents in order to confirm the correct papers to be provided. Documents of civil status issued in a different country must be legalized by the competent Swiss Embassy or Consulate. In some cases, the legalization will be subject to a fee and can take several weeks.

It is strongly recommended to submit applications for marriage preparation to the Regional Consular Centre at least three months before the marriage is to take place. The authorization for marriage can take 6 to 8 weeks. 

Marriage in Albania: Applying for a Swiss certificate of capacity to marry

Swiss citizens who plan to get married in Albania must present a certificate of capacity to marry. This certificate is required by the Albanian authorities (even if you have the double nationality (ALB/CH) in order to get married in the municipality.

In order to obtain a Swiss certificate of capacity to marry (for Swiss nationals), the following documents must be submitted:

Heirat In Albanien (PDF, 286.4 kB, German)

Mariage en Albanie (PDF, 284.9 kB, French)

Martesë në Shqipëri
(PDF, 299.0 kB, Albanian)

Gesuch um Vorbereitung der Eheschliessung (PDF, 22.1 kB, German)    
Demande en vue du mariage (PDF, 21.9 kB, French)                               
Domanda in vista del matrimonio (PDF, 21.9 kB, Italian)                        

Registration of Marriage celebrated in Albania

Marriages concluded in Albania are recognized in Switzerland on condition that there is no impediment to the marriage under Swiss law.

In order to register your marriage with the relevant civil authorities in Switzerland, please follow the procedure as described in the information sheets below:

Registration of marriage (PDF, 87.0 kB, French) 

Registration of marriage  (PDF, 41.4 kB, German)

It takes at least two months for the marriage to be transcribed in Switzerland. After that period the civil registry office responsible for your place of origin can provide you with information on the status of the file and, on request, issue official certificates (Ex. confirmation of marriage). 

Frequently asked questions regarding marriage (German)

Frequently asked questions regarding marriage (French)

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.