Bosnia and Herzegovina: Integrated Local Development (ILDP)
The project is designed in accordance with the existing relevant policy framework in BiH. It will directly enhance the further consolidation of the local planning framework within the overall planning and financial systems of BiH in accordance with EU policies. It will contribute to the implementation of BiH's Country Development Strategy and Social Inclusion Strategy, as well as to the realisation of a wide spectrum of local (municipal) development strategies and of sectoral strategies (line ministries).
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Public sector policy
Domestic revenue mobilisation
- ILDP II targets 43 local governments (covering approx 700'000 citizens)
- 28 public insitutions responsible for strategic planning
- Both entity Associations of Municipalities and Cities
- At least 40 non-governmental/community-based organisations
- Bottom-up vertical linkage between the local development planning framework and policies and financial cycles of immediate higher government levels is endorsed and harmonized
- Local planning is further harmonized countrywide and a critical mass of local governments are enabled to apply an integrated and inclusive approach to strategic planning and strategies' implementation
- Local strategic planning is embedded in the higher government levels' strategic planning framework and institutions strenghtened for operational processes
- A harmonized approach to strategic planning in one FBIH canton piloted and institutionally anchored
- Entity-based Local Development and Seed Funds set up
- 43 integrated strategic local plans developed and maintained
- 40 local government projects realized
- Capacities of institutions and civil society strenghtened
- United Nations Development Programme
In spite of certain progress in strenghtening the strucutres of the country and moving towards the EU integration, still considerable challenges confront BiH. The complex constitutional structures of BiH require that the country-wide strategic planning harmonizes efforts at several institutional levels (state, entities, cantosl and local governments) in order to become more effective and effcient and compatible with EU processes.
By 2015, local strategic planning system in BiH is further consolidated by enhancing its' vertical integration with higher government planning frameworks, up-scaling its coverage country-wide and strenghtening local governments and their socio-economic partners' development. The impact chain intends to achieve efficient service delivery of LGs and to enhance sustainable inclusive socio-economic development.
Results from previous phases:
In the first phase of the project ILDP managed to position itself as an innovative and highly relevant intervention in BiH, supporting the harmonization of local strategic planning and capacity development of local governments. The project facilitated the creation and anchoring of an integrated local development planning methodology (miPRO) serving as a model, country wide.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss cooperation with Eastern Europe
United Nations Organization (UNO)
State, entities' and cantonal ministries and institutions, municipalities, NGOs. Strategic partnership will be sought with DEP and Foundation for sustainable development.
|Coordination with other projects and actors||
ILDP will be strategically aligned with the SDC supported project "Support to the Implementation of the BiH CDS and the SIS". Synergies will be established with the SDC supported project "My backyard" implemented by the Associations of Municipalities and with other initiatives.
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 7'220'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 7'069'719|
Phase 3 01.01.2012 - 28.02.2017 (Completed)