SDC-EU Dialogue Program 2013 - 2016
The program is set up to promote more systematically complementarities and synergies with certain EU External Action policies. It seeks to establish a continuous dialogue with relevant European Commission institutions, based on a flow of relevant knowledge on development policy matters, with the aims of increasing Switzerland’s visibility at the EU level as a reliable donor and further increasing the effectiveness of Swiss international cooperation. To achieve its goals, SDC closely collaborates with a Brussels-based Think-and-Do-Tank, the European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM).
Sector not specified
- To further increase the effectiveness of Swiss development cooperation through enhanced complementarities and synergies with certain EU policies;
- To improve the perception at EU level of Switzerland’s contribution to international efforts as a development partner.
- At the international level, relevant Directorates-General of the European Commission as well as other development policy stakeholders located in Brussels;
- At the domestic level, SDC Directorate and units of all SDC domains as well as other federal offices and external Swiss stakeholders interested in foreign policy issues.
- To enrich and consolidate policy development and its implementation at the level of Swiss development cooperation and Swiss foreign relations as a whole.
- To contribute to policy development debates of EU institutions engaging in international development cooperation.
- European Centre for Development Policy Management
- The European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM) located in Maastricht and Brussels supports SDC as a facilitator and backstopper for policy advice and implementation.
As the largest donor worldwide, the EU and its member states play a pivotal role in international development cooperation. The Dispatch 2013-2016 mentions knowledge management and scaling-up of successful experiences as important strategies for Swiss development aid. This program addresses fundamental issues discussed at the international level on the future role of international development cooperation, its instruments, and the international aid architecture. It, thus, contributes to the same discussion within Switzerland and to a process of gradual adjustment of Swiss international cooperation to a changing global environment.
Results from previous phases:
Phase 1 allowed to launch a multi-annual dialogue with the Directorates-General Development and Cooperation-EuropeAid and Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection on a number of issues, including at the level of Commissioners. In 2011-13, ECDPM proved to be very efficient in delivering services requested, and became an indispensable resource for SDC units in a number of activities.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Other International Organization
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 1’400’000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 1’238’830|
Phase 2 01.10.2013 - 31.07.2017 (Completed)