COVID-19: Information to Swiss citizens travelling or currently residing in Cambodia
The Embassy of Switzerland in Bangkok is responsible for Swiss citizens in Cambodia. Please address your queries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) recommends to avoid unnecessary travel abroad for the time being, except for a few countries (details here: Link, only in French, German and Italian)
Commercial flights out of Phnom Penh
Although there are no direct flights from Cambodia to Europe, there are regular commercial flights from Phnom Penh to several destinations in Europe transiting in Singapore and Seoul. Please inquire directly with the airlines on their requirements for boarding (i.e. PCR test).
Travel Admin App: Sign up! If you are currently travelling in Cambodia as a tourist or on business (not for permanent residents), please register on the Swiss Travel Admin App so that the relevant Swiss Embassy can contact you if necessary. Please make sure that the dates of your trip are up to date. Once you have returned to Switzerland, please delete your trip from the application.
Should you be unable to return to Switzerland despite all efforts, please contact the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok at email@example.com. The Embassy’s capacity to assist you may be limited, however, please let the team know where you are so they can provide you with all necessary information.
Extensions of visa
On 3 April 2020, the Cambodian government decided to grant automatic extension of tourist visa (category T) to foreign tourists who arrived in Cambodia after 1 January 2020 and are unable to return to their countries or origin due to the pandemic. Overstay fees are waived in these cases.
Visa E (all versions) must be renewed as usual, otherwise overstay fees incur.
Entry into Cambodia
The following measures apply to ALL FOREIGNERS:
- Suspension of visa exemption; suspension of issuance of tourist visa, e-visa, and visa on arrival
- All foreigners entering Cambodia must comply with the requirements described on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia (exceptions for holders of diplomatic/official visa)
- For business travel, please refer to the Note by the Ministry of Health of Cambodia available here.
- Quarantine: All persons entering Cambodia are required to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Self-isolation is not possible. Foreign nationals are required to pay a USD 2,000 deposit on arrival and must stay at a designated hotel for the entire 14 days (costs for hotel room, food, COVID-19 tests, and transport will be deducted from the deposit). A few luxury hotels offer quarantine packages (cost at least USD 2,500), which must be booked prior to entering the country. Cambodian nationals can choose between a government-designated quarantine facility (free of charge), or a designated hotel (charges apply). Please find more details via this link on Twitter (unofficial translation of the Note from the Cambodian Government).
Entry into Switzerland
Please visit this page: Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland
Situation in Cambodia and restrictions related to COVID-19
Actively inform yourself about the instructions of the Government and the local media regarding the regularly changing restriction measures:
- Government news: “Fresh News” media,
Please remember that you are a guest in Cambodia and required to strictly comply with instructions by the Cambodian authorities.
If you have health problems or suspect a COVID-19 infection, please contact the nearest clinic/hospital, or call 115 (hotline by the Ministry of Health).
Useful links regarding the COVID19 situation
Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) for the current situation and measures taken in Switzerland.
FOPH’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the new coronavirus
Travel Report of the FDFA, Focus Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), in French, German, and Italian.
Ministry of Health of Cambodia, Communicable Disease Control Department, for the current situation and measures taken in Cambodia (mostly in khmer).
News from the Government of Cambodia: “Fresh News” media
Infoline Coronavirus: +41 58 463 00 00