PRODEL – Programme to strengthen municipal capacities for local development
PRODEL is part of the Cuban decentralization reform process that seeks to build the capacities of local government representatives in local development management and assist them in formulating and implementing Municipal Development Strategies (EDMs) as a tool to maximize local resources and improve local services.
Stato di diritto - democrazia - diritti dell'uomo
Organizzazioni contro la corruzione
Gestione delle finanze pubbliche
Tecnologie dell’informazione e delle comunicazioni (TIC)
Media e libertà di informazione
- Municipal management of Cuban municipalities is stenghtened (by articulating EDM with sectorial management tools and mechanisms for economic sustainability and social inclusion).
- Service delivery and local production have increased.
- Good practices of local management are incorporated into national policies.
- The municipalities under the programme improve their Local Development Index.
- The municipalities under the programme increase their production and services delivery capacities.
- PRODEL-generated tools for strengthened municipal capacities are incorporated into national policies and new legislative documents.
- A total of 72 projects under implementation in 25 municipalities supply new products and services to 200,000 beneficiaries (48 percent women and 52 percent men).
- Governments in 69 municipalities implement EDMs as a management tool.
- A total of 102 “replicators” (45 percent women) have been trained for widespread EDM implementation, and 57 specialists at national institutions (32 women and 25 men) and 2,300 local actors (17 percent from the non-state sector) have been trained in municipal planning and management.
- The Commission on the Implementation of the Economic and Social Policy Guidelines (CIL) recognizes EDM as a relevant tool for decentralized municipal management and entrusted the Local and Community Development Centre (CEDEL) with the task of disseminating its use in the country.
- The website of PRODEL local development network (www.redesloc.cu) is under operation (with over 600 users).
- Research Organisation of South East
- National Institute for Economic Research (INIE)
- Science, Technology, Society and Innovation Chair at the University of Havana, Ministry of Higher Education (CTS-MES)
- Energy Development and Information Management Centre (CUBAENERGÍA)
- Community Initiative Reference and Exchange Centre (CIERIC)
The decentralization process underway in the country is considered by the authorities as a main trigger of economic reform. Although this process has been slow, the sources of financing for local development are being gradually diversified, and increased decision-making powers are being granted to municipal governments. Local authorities need to enhance their capacities to make autonomous decisions, improve their economic and social policies and generate their own budgets.
Improved quality of life of the population in the municipalities under the programme, making special emphasis on women and vulnerable groups, by developing local capacities for municipal development management.
Around 1,350,000 people living in 27 municipalities (51 per cent women) benefit from new local production activities and services and improved citizen-participation mechanisms.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione universitaria e di ricerca straniera
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
SDC programmes, including PADIT, GEPAC, and Habitat II
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 4’000’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 3’926’786|
|Fasi del progetto||
(Fase in corso)
Fase 2 01.04.2016 - 31.03.2021 (Completed)Fase 1 01.01.2012 - 31.03.2016 (Completed)