For the SDC, gender equality is a transversal theme, a theme cutting across all of the SDC’s development programmes where it is systematically fostered. Indeed, the reduction of discrimination based on gender is at once both a goal of development and a pre-condition for development to take place.
Gender equality is the equal enjoyment by women and men of socially valued goods, opportunities, resources, and rewards. The aim is not that women and men become the same, but that their opportunities and life chances become and remain equal.
Gender - Equal Opportunities for Women and Men
Gender equality has been integrated as transversal theme in all SDC development programmes and projects since 1990. SDC fosters equal opportunity of men and women at Headquarters, in its Cooperation Offices and among its partner organizations in compliance with the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).
The aim of the SDC policy is to ensure that all SDC interventions increase women and men’s opportunities to exercise their rights equally and gain equal access to and control over the benefits of development.
Gender equality is a cross-cutting theme in all SDC programmes and projects implemented in the Republic of Moldova.
Key statistics Moldova
- Demography, women/men: 51.9% / 48.1% (est. 2009)
- Life expectancy at birth, women/men: 75 / 67.2 years (2013)
- Gross enrolment rate at all education levels, women/men: 71.3% / 66.5%
- GDP per capita, women/men: USD 2,244 / USD 3,489
- Participation in politics, no of parliamentarians women/men: 19 / 82 (2010)
- Local administration, no of mayors women/men: 166 / 713 (2011)
- Average female salary - 76.4 % of the average male salary
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), the Decision of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova no 87 dated 28.04.1994
- National Human Rights Action Plan for 2004-2008
- European Union - Republic of Moldova Action Plan
- National programme for assistance in reproductive health care and family planning for 1999-2003
- Governmental decision of March 2005 on the Millennium Development Goals (2005-2015)
- Law on the prevention and combating human trafficking, no 241-XVI dated 20.10.2005
- Law on equal chances equality between men and women, no 5-XVI dated 09.02.2006
- Law on the prevention and combating domestic violence, no 45 dated 01.03.2007
- National Plan “Promotion of gender equality in society for 2006-2009”
- National Development Strategy for the period 2008-2011, the Law of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova no 295 dated 21.12.2007
- Strategy of the National System on the protection and assistance of the victims of human trafficking for 2009–2011 and Action Plan
- National Programme on Gender Equality for 2010-2015 and Action Plan