Palestinian Population, Housing, and Establishment Census 2017
SDC will support the realisation of the third Palestinian Population, Housing, and Establishment Census in 2017 through a targeted contribution to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS). This project is co-financed by the Palestinian Authority and by a range of donors which acknowledge thereby the need to conduct a national census on a regular basis (every ten years) to produce reliable development data and statistics that support the design and implementation of effective policies conducive to reaching the goals of Agenda 2030 (Sustainable Development Goals). Such data are even more important in fragile contexts, such as the oPt.
Conflitto & fragilitá
Tecnologie dell’informazione e delle comunicazioni (TIC)
Gestione e riforma dei sistemi di sicurezza
- Geographical distribution of the population with growth rate and socio-economic characteristics.
- Households’ size, composition, characteristics and conditions.
- Population distribution by age groups, movement- migration between different areas, cases of disabilities and their causes, population academic qualifications, number of illiterates, etc.
- Extent of poverty and its distribution.
- Labour forces, conditions, and geographical distribution.
- Distribution of establishments, comprehensive data on properties and uses of various buildings.
- Central State of South East
- PA line ministries and institutions, most importantly MoFP
- The proposed intervention is linked to ongoing support to PCBS provided by the Core Funding Group (CFG) of which SDC and Norway are members (Phase 9).
- The PA, EU, Norway, Sweden, Islamic Development Bank, Italy and Japan are co-funding the Census 2017.
- UN system institutions (UNFPA, World Bank, and other agencies) as well as technical partners (GIZ) provide technical support for the Census.
- Possible synergies/baselines for SCO CS 2015-2018 serving its three domains of interventions: Rule of Law, Local Governance, and Agro Economic Development of the through relevant GIS maps and data.
The Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) is mandated by Law to produce statistics in the oPt, including through conducting national censuses every 10 years. Despite major constraints deriving from the protracted Occupation, PCBS has achieved high standards of quality in its work (international standards) and it has embarked on preparing the Population, Housing and Establishment Census in an efficient manner, building also on the recent experience made in Jordan. The Census will take place at household level in 2017, although the overall process will last three-year, preparation, collect of data and analysis (2016-2018).
SDC has been a longstanding partner of PCBS. It has provided core funding for more than 20 years, contributing to build a solid national institution, which competences comply with international quality standards. This is an important aspect of the state building agenda, which is the overall goal of the Swiss Cooperation Strategy for the oPt (2015-2018).
High quality statistical data on the demographic characteristics and socio-economic development of the population in the oPt are utilized by PA to design more effective and pro-poor policies aligned with the National Policy Agenda 2017-2022 and thus contributing to assess progress regards as regards the PA commitment to the 2030 Agenda (SDGs).
Palestinian planners, decision makers, public and not public institutions, academic/ research centres, interest groups, Palestinian public, international development agencies and multilateral organisations, bilateral donor agencies.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Complete statistical database on the population, houses, and establishment in oPt is produced, disseminated and utilized by primary users (PA and non-governmental institutions, UN Country Team, development partners).
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1'250'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'253'312|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 01.12.2016 - 31.12.2018 (Completed)