You wish to report the birth of a child.

Online desk

There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth (SCA; CC 141.0):

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • original of the birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or of the Swiss family book or certificate

There is no fee for the registration in question.

For children of Swiss descent, who were born in Singapore, the following document is required:

  • Original birth certificate.

If the parents of the concerned child were not married at the moment of birth, kindly contact the Embassy for further instructions.

For Birth certificate issued in Singapore, please visit the official website of the Birth/Death registration services:

Birth/Death registration services

If it proves difficult to provide an original document which cannot be deposited permanently with the Swiss authorities, the Swiss Embassy can make a copy and return the original.