You wish to report the birth of a child.

Online desk

There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth (SCA; CC 141.0):

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Birth abroad

Registration in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) of a birth which has occurred abroad requires submission of the documents listed on this webpage to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the birth has taken place.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Birth in Switzerland

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document (as hard copy or in electronic form) to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • photocopy of the birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or of the Swiss family certificate

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

In order to keep the family registers accurate and up-to-date, the Swiss authorities need to be informed about any changes in the civil status (birth, marriage, partnership, death and divorce) of Swiss citizens and dual nationals. When such changes occur, the persons concerned, or their nearest relatives, should send a complete and certified copy of the appropriate document/s (birth, death, marriage, partnership or divorce certificates) to the responsible Swiss representation.

Please note that these requirements are not set by the Swiss representations but by the respective cantonal offices in Switzerland. They make the final decisions whether the documents meet or do not meet the requirements.

Local and cantonal civil status authorities

Civil status changes (marital status, birth of children, death, name change, etc.) must be communicated to the Swiss authorities. Failure to provide accurate documentation may impede future administrative procedures with the Swiss authorities and even hinder the issuance of new identity documents, i.e. passports, etc.

Birth (U.S. - married parents)

Important: The documents will not be returned to you. Photocopies and documents certified by a notary public will not be accepted.

Birth (U.S. - unmarried parents)

  •  Affidavit concerning legal residence and marital status (unmarried parents) (PDF, 1 Page, 16.9 kB) notarized by a notary public
  • Certified birth certificate (not older than 6 months). The document has to show the exact place of birth (city) and names of the parents.
  • Copy of child’s passport, if available
  • Certified acknowledgment of paternity (not older than 6 months).
  • Certified birth certificate of the foreign parent (not older than 6 months), if born in the U.S. The document has to show the exact place of birth (city) and names of the parents. 
    OR the  Foreign Civil Status Document (for citizens of other countries)
  • Copy of foreign parent’s passport
  • If the foreign parent is divorced: Certified final divorce decree (not older than 6 months), showing the exact date when the judgment was entered into effect
    AND the  Additional Information Necessary for Legalization of Divorce Decrees (PDF, 2 Pages, 525.0 kB, English).
  • If the foreign parent is widowed: Certified death certificate (not older than 6 months) of the late spouse.

Important: The documents will not be returned to you. Photocopies and documents certified by a notary public will not be accepted.