IIMM - Myanmar – Contribution to the Trust Fund for the Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar
By contributing to the Trust Fund of the IIMM, Switzerland will actively support the collection of evidence on international law abuses and crimes in Myanmar, for increased accountability and with the aim of deterring future international crimes. The support of the Mechanism complements Switzerland’s Country Program by strengthening accountability for human rights.
Derechos humanos (incluidos los derechos de las mujeres)
- Other UN Organisation
Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDE GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
Sub-Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDEDerechos humanos
Temas transversales Derechos humanos
Tipo de ayuda Fondos conjuntos o mancomunados de donantes múltiples
Número de proyecto
|Contexto||After reasonable grounds existed to conclude that gross human rights violations amounting to serious international crimes had been committed in Myanmar (especially in 2017), the UN Human Rights Council established the IIMM (Resolution 39/2) with the mandate to collect, preserve and analyze evidence, which can be used as a basis for accountability efforts at any time in the future in potential trials. Following the military takeover on February 1, 2021, reported information increased substantially. The evidence indicates that Myanmar’s security forces have carried out widespread and systematic attacks on the civilian population. It is understood that these events fall within IIMM’s mandate. To effectively pursue this mandate, IIMM needs to increase its resources and capacities.|
|Objetivos||Support and improve independent investigation and accountability for serious international crimes in Myanmar.|
- Victims of serious international crimes and their representatives, civil society actors, comprising individuals, organizations and networks from inside Myanmar and diaspora communities.
- Competent investigative, prosecutorial or judicial authorities in national, regional or international court or tribunals that have or may in the future have jurisdiction over the most serious international crimes and violations of international law committed in Myanmar since 2011.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
a) Evidence of the most serious international crimes and violations of international law in Myanmar since 2011 is collected, properly consolidated, preserved and analyzed by IIMM.
b) Fair and independent criminal proceedings before national, regional and international courts or tribunals through quality case preparation by IIMM.
c) All relevant actors, including victims and the general public, are well informed and aware of the mandate, work and expected results of the mechanism.
- Increased its open source investigation capacity (specialized equipment and expertise);
- Increased its financial investigation capacity (specialized equipment and expertise);
- Increased its Sexual and Gender-Based Crimes (SGBS) and Crimes against Children investigation capacity (specialized equipment and expertise);
- Enhanced its engagement with civil society.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
Independent Investigative Mechanism for Myanmar (IIMM)
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
- Synergies with judicial proceedings, such as the ICC investigation on Rakhine State and the ICJ Gambia lawsuit against Myanmar for genocide;
- Synergies with UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). Switzerland being one of the most important donors to OHCHR;
- Synergies with Peace and Human Rights Division (PHRD)-supported regional human rights projects such as Fortify Rights and Access Now.
- Synergies with activities supported by SDC in Myanmar such as UNFPA’s Women & Girls First, support to civil society organizations and protection activities.
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 800’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 780’000 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto suizo CHF 800’000 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 800’000|