Reducing risk-factors for Non-Communicable Diseases in Ukraine (opening phase)
Switzerland will support the Government of Ukraine in operationalizing the National Action Plan against Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs) that it adopted in 2018. This four-year intervention aims at fostering an enabling policy environment related to NCDs, strengthening capacities of primary healthcare service providers in five pilot regions and increasing health-seeking practices by the Ukrainian population by facilitating engagement between authorities, civil society and private sector.
Enfermedades no transmisibles
Fortalecimiento del sistema sanitario
- Managerial, leadership, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and advocacy capacities of the Ministry of Health, 1 National and 5 Regional Public Health Centres strengthened improving the overall professional workforce of these institutions.
- 2’000 family-doctors, nurses, public health specialists deliver integrated NCD prevention services.
- 100 schools have created a safe and healthy school environment and other schools nationwide have access to developed tools and materials.
- 20 communities including local authorities, CSOs, service providers, supported with small grants for advocacy and NCDs prevention programs.
- NCDs prevention and health promotion campaigns developed based on age and gender differences implemented in 5 regions and nationwide.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- World Health Organization
|Contexto||NCDs such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes, chronic respiratory diseases and mental health disorders are leading causes of death and disability in Ukraine. The average life expectancy in 2018 was 78 years for women and 68 years for men, which is well below the EU average (84 years for women, 78 years for men). The COVID-19 pandemic has hit vulnerable populations more severely, with NCDs amplifying the impacts. Long-term reform in the Ukrainian healthcare sector has been undertaken since 2016. However, it still falls short in prevention, diagnosis and management of patients at risk of or living with NCDs, of which the majority are men.|
|Objetivos||NCD related risk factors are reduced, contributing to improved health indicators of men and women in Ukraine.|
Direct beneficiaries: Ministry of Health, National and Regional Public Health Centers, Ministry of Social Policies, Ministry of Education and Science, primary healthcare providers, CSOs, private business, communities and schools in 5 target regions.
Indirect beneficiaries: Ukrainian population, including children and youth, men and women, especially those with “risky behaviour” and with elevated NCDs risks factors.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Outcome 1: National health authorities are strengthened and an enabling policy environment to address the NCDs in Ukraine is created.
Outcome 2: The capacity of primary healthcare to provide efficient and quality services for prevention, treatment and care of people with NCDs is strengthened in five pilot regions.
Outcome 3: The capacity of schools, public health centers and communities to reduce NCDs risk behavior is strengthened and the knowledge, attitudes and health seeking practices of the Ukrainian population are increased.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
• Essential data (national and regional NCDs statistics, cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit considerations, gender and governance mainstreaming) collected and validation of the implementation approaches.
• Collaboration modalities with other SDC supported interventions were elaborated.
• Target regions of Lviv, Rivne, Dnipro, Poltava, Kherson and engagement with conflict-affected Donetsk and Lugansk identified based on clear selection criteria.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación con Europa del Este
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
ONG internacional o extranjera
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||Coordination with international and national interested stakeholders (e.g. WB, WHO, USAID, EU Delegation) is ensured. Possible synergies with other Swiss financed projects in Health and other Domains (MED, MH4U, WBTF, DECIDE, IUD) are identified.|
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 7’369’600 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 2’611’498|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 1 01.05.2019 - 31.10.2024 (Fase en curso)|