Building Regional and National capacities for improved Migration Governance in the IGAD Region
The Regional Migration Policy Framework, adopted in 2012, provides Member Governments of IGAD a good document to better govern migration and protect migrants within the Horn of Africa. However, their capacities to implement this strategy are limited. Switzerland will support IGAD to enhance their cooperation and coordination as well as build their capacities to address existing gaps of implementation. This will improve the wellbeing and protection of migrants in the region.
Cuerno de África
Migración en general (aspectos de desarrollo y partenariados)
Desplazamiento forzado (refugiados, PDI, trata humana)
Participación de la diáspora en el desarrollo
- Migration management has been improved in the region through establishing/strengthening strong mechanisms for cooperation on migration and protection, including migration and development;
- A continuous regional cooperation and dialogue on migration has been established by strengthening the existing Regional Consultative Process (RCP) and fostering the cooperation with the Regional Migration Coordination Committee (RMCC);
- Mixed migration and other related phenomena such as climate change and disaster induced displacement in the region is better addressed and migrants better protected by enhanced capacities of key stakeholders and improved awareness. Capacity to mainstream migration into development policies is improved.
- National State Institute SWISS
- Other OI
- Sector privado extranjero Sur/Este
- IGAD Secretariat, Federal Office for Migration (as co-funder)
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) member countries are faced with coordination and cooperation gaps to better address the common challenge of mixed migration, to ensure safer and regular labour migration within the region and beyond, to better engage the diaspora or to enhance the development impact of migration. Migration at IGAD is addressed within the framework of the Regional Migration Policy Framework (RMPF). The ultimate objective of the RMPF is to realize the well-being and protection of migrants including IDPs and refugees and the realisation of the developmental potential of migration. However the capacities within the region to implement this policy document are limited and technical as well as financial support is needed to remedy the situation.
The migration governance has been improved and the protection of migrants enhanced, thus supporting the regional development and integration process, by strengthening the regional and national capacities for the implementation of the Regional Migration Policy Framework.
The primary beneficiaries of the project will be the IGAD Secretariat as well as the Governments of IGAD Member States. Regional civil society organisations will also profit from the project to the extent that they will be included in the regional and national dialogues on migration. The ultimate beneficiaries will be the migrants, refugees and IDPs in the region who will eventually benefit from an improved governance of migration as well as better protection mechanisms in the region.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Otra organización internacional
Institución estatal suiza
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1’143’694 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 1’216’462|
|Fases del proyecto||
(Fase en curso)
(Fase en curso)
Fase 1 01.05.2014 - 31.05.2018 (Completed)