Strengthening Systems to Combat Corruption and Impunity in Central America
The program contributes to the reduction of corruption and impunity in the Northern Triangle of Central America, strengthens the anticorruption investigative and criminal prosecution capacities of the specialized units of the Public Prosecutors and reinforces the political lobbying of civil society organizations to promote institutional reforms.
Organizzazioni contro la corruzione
Sviluppo legale e giudiziario
- Other OI
- Programma di sviluppo delle Nazioni Unite
|Contesto||The States of the Northern Triangle of Central America (Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras) are characterized by fragile institutions, with scenarios of permanent political conflict, high levels of violence, social inequality and corruption. This situation is aggravated by the effects of the COVID19 pandemic. The cancelation of the agreements with the international missions (IMs) against corruption and impunity (CICIG, MACCIH) by the governments of Guatemala and Honduras, based on the argument that they damage sovereignty and disrupt procedural guarantees, represents a setback in the fight against corruption. Political and economic power groups now seek to weaken existing institutions and regulations in order to avoid facing justice. Despite the cancelation of CICIG and MACCIH Switzerland will continue to support the rule of law in accordance with its international strategy 2021 - 2024 and therefore will continue to provide support to the Special Prosecutor Against Impunity (FECI) in Guatemala and the Special Fiscal Unit Against Corruption (UFERCO) in Honduras.|
|Obiettivi||To contribute to strengthening the capacities of national public institutions and civil society for combating corruption and impunity in the Northern Triangle of Central America.|
Direct beneficiaries: 140 prosecutors, investigators and anticorruption specialists, and 500 officials of the Public Prosecutors. 160 professional staff of civil society organizations and networks.
Indirect beneficiaries: The population of the Northern Triangle through the application of justice and human.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Effect 1: The capacities of the Public Prosecutors to carry out investigation and criminal prosecution of corruption are strengthened, along with the lobbying influence of civil society.
Effect 2: The capacities and alliances of civil society organizations, including women’s organizations for oversight and political lobbying in Guatemala and Honduras are strengthened in order to improve the justice system in the fight against corruption and impunity.
Risultati principali attesi:
1. Corruption investigation and prosecution bodies have tools, protocols and guides that facilitate criminal prosecution of corruption, with a gender perspective, cultural relevance and human rights;
2. Strengthening of the operational and knowledge management capacity of Anticorruption Public Prosecutors in investigation, analysis, case preparation and case presentation, in accordance with their mandates;
3. Anticorruption public prosecutors in the Northern Triangle have mechanisms for experience exchange, communication and coordination for effective and timely investigation of corruption cases;
4. Capacity strengthening of civil society organizations in oversight, social auditing and lobbying processes;
5. Civil society organizations and alliances that include women’s organization, implement political lobbying actions in defense of anticorruption institutions and promote changes and reforms in justice systems.
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Through its work with MACCIH and CICIG the program has contributed to:
- Approval of various legal reforms by the National Congresses of Honduras and Guatemala in the areas of anticorruption, impunity, and electoral transparency;
- Improved capacities of entities prosecuting the crime of corruption with the creation of the Special Prosecutor Against Impunity (FECI) in Guatemala and the Special Fiscal Unit Against Corruption (UFERCO) in Honduras;
- Improved capacities of the justice system with the creation of a circuit of anticorruption courts in Honduras and High Risk Courts in Guatemala;
- Creation of Criminal Justice Observatories with the participation of civil society organizations of Honduras and Guatemala;
- Dismantling of structures and networks of corruption.
|Partner del progetto||
Altre organizzazioni internazionali
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
Public Prosecutor / Special Fiscal Unit Against Corruption (UFERCO) and National Anticorruption Council (CNA) in Honduras;
Public Prosecutor / Special Prosecutor against Impunity (FECI)-UNDP and the NGO Foundation Myrna Mack in Guatemala.
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||Interamerican System of Human Rights, USAID, USA Embassy, European Union, Swedish Embassy in Guatemala.|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 3’870’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1’292’556|