Inclusive and accountable governance
Switzerland has been supporting inclusive politics in Somalia since 2018. Much has been achieved but additional efforts are needed to address the contentious political settlement issues through an inclusive and accountable process. Through support to the UN, think tanks and the Somali NGO Consortium, Switzerland contributes to enhancing inclusive state-society relations, gradually leading to power and resource sharing agreements that are more responsive to the needs of citizens and contributing to peace and stability.
Partecipazione democratica e società civile
Politica del settore pubblico
Sviluppo legale e giudiziario
- Research Organisation of South East
Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSE GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
GOVERNO E SOCIETÀ CIVILE
Sotto-Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSEPartecipazione democratica e società civile
Politica del settore pubblico e gestione amministrativa
Sviluppo dei servizi legali e giudiziari
Temi trasversali Diminuizone dei conflitti
Tipo di aiuto Fondi comuni o combinati da donatori multipli
Contributo al progetto e al programma
Numero del progetto
|Contesto||Somalia remains extremely fragile, with many groups experiencing systematic marginalization. The widespread exclusion of minority groups from political processes is a key driver of fragility in Somalia significantly hampering the establishment of stable institutions. The current political settlement is based on a narrow elite bargain. Power is held not only by those groups formally at the table, but in more informal political networks. Power is shored up by the ability to use violence, discouraging real progress on greater political inclusivity or the establishing of the rule of law. There are deep incentives in place to retain the very narrow elite bargain that enabled early stability. Taking Somalia to the next level requires walking a careful balance; not upsetting the hard won gains while nudging forward a more lasting and inclusive peace, without which, stability cannot be retained over time. The election of a new President in May 2022 provides better prospects for progress on inclusive politics. The new administration has already exemplified inclusion in the few appointments made so far. The intervention contributes to the stability of the HoA through resilience building which is also in the interest of Switzerland.|
|Obiettivi||An incrementally fairer, more inclusive, and more stable political settlement, which increasingly represents, is accountable to and brings in views from the citizenry.|
|Gruppi target||The ultimate beneficiary is the Somali population benefiting from an incrementally fairer, more inclusive, and more stable political settlement, which increasingly represents, is accountable to, and brings in views from citizenry. Direct project beneficiaries are parliamentarians, parliament services, constitutional review stakeholders such as the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs, constitutional oversight bodies, the electoral body and civil society. Specific target groups are youth, women and minorities that will be empowered to effectively participate in political processes.|
|Effetti a medio termine||
- Greater political reconciliation at all levels, which is mutually reinforcing; (Incremental progress on core political settlements reinforced by and reinforcing federal agreements on power and resource sharing).
• Sub-national level conflicts and dynamics resolved and reinforced by federal level agreements.
- Greater accountability as a basis for a social contract that is responsive to citizen needs, based on greater civic engagements and an enabling environment for Civil Society operation.
Risultati principali attesi:
- Forum to build and retain trust between political stakeholders established including an institutional architecture of dispute resolution;
- Progressive codification of agreed articles of the constitution;
- Capacity of parliaments strengthened in undertaking their constitutional functions;
- Regulatory framework and procedural codes for conduct of government business between Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), FMSs, and local government levels and on areas of shared responsibilities developed and functional;
- Progress dialogue between FGS and FMSs that reflects and reinforces agreements at lower levels;
- Evidence to enable informed policy engagements and programming generated and utilized;
- Agreement on electoral model for 2025/26 elections and a successful electoral process;
- Citizen voice and participation in political processes enabled and strengthened;
- Establishment and support to a holistic set of accountability actors including strengthened civil society actors and an increasingly free media.
Risultati fasi precedenti:
- Three inter-state agreements on boundary delimitation which will deepen federalism formalized and ready to be presented to the 11th Parliament for endorsement.
- The National Security Council - made up of the president of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), the Prime Minister and presidents of Federal Member States (FMSs) - resolved the election related deadlock, enabling elections and transition preventing the country from drifting towards political violence.
- The Director Generals Coordination Forum (Federal) was established and institutionalized enabling horizontal intergovernmental relations.
- Regular and increasingly institutionalised dialogue among government entities (horizontally and vertically) led to more transparent and traceable decisions and processes.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione universitaria e di ricerca straniera
ONG internazionale o straniera
- Somali Joint Fund (SJF) - UN
- The Heritage Institute for Policy Studies (HIPS)
- Sahan Foundation
- Somali NGO Consortium (SNC)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||The four contributions (SJF, Sahan, SNC, HIPS) are complementary within the programme; Strong synergies exist with the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance (JPLG), the Puntland small action and Saameynta which will contribute in future to different windows of the SJF. Close cooperation exists with the Swiss supported Multi Partner Trust Fund of the World Bank.|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 7’933’500 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 795’225|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.07.2022 - 30.06.2026 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.09.2018 - 30.09.2022 (Completed)|