ASPBAE - Contribution to Asia South Pacific association for Basic and Adult Education
Switzerland’s support of civil society organizations rests on the key role these play for reaching the Education goal (SDG4) of the Agenda 2030. The Asia South Pacific association for Basic and Adult Education is an influential civil society network engaged in the promotion of inclusive, equitable quality education and lifelong learning for the most marginalized in the Asia region as well as at global level. The Swiss contribution to ASPBAE strengthens the civil society at regional and global level and enriches Switzerland’s policy dialogue on education in the Asia Pacific region and globally.
Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSE ISTRUZIONE
Sotto-Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSEPolitica dell'istruzione e gestione amministrativa
Tipo di aiuto Contributo al progetto e al programma
Numero del progetto
|Contesto||At least 850 million students in the Asia Pacific region were affected by school closures due to COVID-19 in 2020. In the Asia Pacific region education access, quality and completion remain a concern despite progress. In Central and South Asia 18.7 millions of children out of school. 27 million youth remain illiterate, of which 95 per cent live in Southern Asia alone. In particular in Asia, civil society organizations have been playing a key role in monitoring and holding the governments accountable on education. The Asia South Pacific association for Basic and Adult Education, a regional network comprehending 158 civil society organizations, plays a central role in strengthening and advancing the right to quality education. SDC’s partnership with ASPBAE strengthens Switzerland’s global and regional policy dialogue towards the achievement of SDG4.|
|Obiettivi||More inclusive and equitable quality basic education is provided thanks to strengthened civil society organizations in the Asia Pacific region and at global level.|
The 158 member organizations of ASPBAE’s network – all from the civil society – are the direct beneficiaries.
The indirect beneficiaries are on one hand the children and youth of marginalized social groups who will gain better access to quality education and, on the other hand, national and regional education constituencies that will benefit from increased accountability and means for inclusive, equitable and performing education systems.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Outcome 1: Policy advocacy work from ASPBAE member organizations is strengthened at national and regional as well as at global levels to advance the right to quality education.
Outcome 2: ASPBAE member organizations have solid capacities for both advocating for and providing inclusive and equitable quality education.
Outcome 3: ASPBAE has set strategic linkages in the region between stakeholders promoting SDG 4 and the transformative role of education for the other SDGs.
Outcome 4: ASPBAE’s network provides its members with a strengthened platform and instruments for learning, building capacities and for advocating at regional and global levels.
Risultati principali attesi:
1. ASPBAE organizes and participates at conferences and processes on SDG4 within education policies national, regional and global fora for enhanced awareness and accountability for inclusive quality basic education particularly for the marginalized and vulnerable.
2. Latest SDG4 information and the impacts of the pandemic to education in the Asia Pacific region are disseminated to at least 19 national education coalitions to support their advocacy.
3. Expanded membership and engagement of Asian national education campaign coalitions for advancing SDG 4 are facilitated.
4. Increased regional and national policy dialogue on education finance that pays greater attention to inclusion and effective regulatory and accountability mechanisms.
Risultati fasi precedenti:
- Synergies between Asian Civil Society Organisations reinforced (e.g. production of the Asia Pacific Spotlight Report on SDG4 – significant to the review of SDG4 in Asia Pacific in 2019)
- Capacity building on the right to education, lifelong learning and the wider SDG4 (organisation of 37 regionals events, trainings, publications such as the “Spotlight Reports”).
- Representation of civil society in the regional and global follow-up processes of SDG4-Education 2030 (e.g. participation in the 2020 High Level Political Forum, SDG4 Steering Committee)
- Strong contribution in Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Board meetings and lead-up processes with Civil Society Organisations.
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
Asia South Pacific association for Basic and Adult Education (ASPBAE)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||SDC South and East Asia Country Offices; Global Partnership for Education; Network for International Policies and Cooperation in Education and Training; Interagency Network for Education in Emergencies; UNICEF; UNESCO; Association pour le Développement de l’Education en Afrique.|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 500’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 300’000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.01.2022 - 31.12.2023 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.08.2018 - 31.12.2021 (Completed)|