Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

Marriage in Mongolia

The Embassy is not a civil registrar office and cannot perform wedding ceremonies. It is recommended that you ask the civil registrar office where you want to get married what documents are requested.

Swiss citizens must, in most cases, present their passport and a certificate of civil status (Personenstandsausweis/fiche d’état civil), which can be obtained from the registrar’s office of the place of origin in Switzerland. This certificate must be translated and legalized at the Mongolian Mission in Geneva (Chemin des Mollies 4, 1392 Bellevue-Genève, Tel.: +41 (0)22 774 19 74, Fax: +41 (0)22 774 32 01). The legalization of the document by the relevant State Chancery and the Federal Chancellery in Berne are also required.

If the certificate of civil status has to be legalised by the Swiss Embassy in Beijing, it also has to be legalised previously by the relevant State Chancery or the Federal Chancery in Berne.

After the marriage has been celebrated in Mongolia you have to register it in Switzerland. For all information regarding the requirements and procedure, please refer to the below leaflet. They also include information regarding the visa procedure.

Leaflet marriage in Mongolia (PDF, 495.6 kB, English)

Marriage in Switzerland

Should you wish to marry in Switzerland, you will have to sign the “Application for preparatory procedure for marriage” and the “Declaration preconcerning conditions for entering into marriage” at the Swiss Embassy in Beijing. For information regarding the procedure and the documents required for marriage in Switzerland, please refer to the following leaflets.

Leaflet marriage in Switzerland (PDF, 551.7 kB, English)

New naming and citizenship law

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.