Internship – Political and Economic Affairs
Embassy of Switzerland in Harare, Zimbabwe (100%)
The Embassy of Switzerland in Harare covers all matters concerning diplomatic relations between Switzerland and Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi. The internship position will allow the successful candidate to gain experience in an integrated Swiss Embassy and will give the candidate an insight into diplomatic relations in the fields of politics and economics. The candidate will be involved in the Embassy's wide range of activities and support the diplomatic and development cooperation teams in representing Swiss interests in the three countries.
Overview of the functions and requirements of the Internship
The Embassy of Switzerland is offering a full-time (40 hours per week) internship in the Political Section for six months starting: March 1, 2023 – August 31, 2023 (extendable to 9 months). The remuneration for this position is CHF 2’000.00 per month (gross salary).
Candidates should possess:
- A general interest and passion for analysing and editing political current affairs in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi.
- A deep interest in financial and economic issues affecting a dynamic sub-region.
- An interest in participating in briefings and accompanying the Head of Mission as well as diplomatic staff including taking notes of discussions at a high political level.
- An ability to participate in public relations with a specific focus on press and cultural activities.
- A readiness to participate in management meetings of the overall representation.
- A willingness to learn about the tasks of the representation including the Cooperation Office and an introduction to diplomatic correspondence.
- Be a Swiss citizen;
- Not have graduated more than one year from university or university of applied sciences before beginning internship;
- Not have completed more than 12 months of cumulative internship experience in the Federal Administration since first graduating from university.
- Speak and write fluent German, French or Italian, with passive knowledge of at least one other official language;
- Possess excellent written and spoken communication skills in English;
- Have strong and proven interest in politics, economics and international relations;
- Initiative, curiosity, ability to work under pressure, flexibility and team spirit.
All applicants must submit the following documents in PDF format – not to exceed 5 MB:
- PDF document: Curriculum vitae and motivation letter addressing the candidate profile as explained above (in German, French or Italian);
- PDF document: Employment certificates, diplomas or current transcripts.
- Any other relevant documents (if necessary).
Submit your application to: email@example.com with the email subject line “Application for Internship at the Embassy of Switzerland to Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi - 2023”
Application Deadline: 16 December 2022.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified in writing no later than two weeks after the application deadline.
Interviews for the position will be conducted in early January 2023.