Coronavirus related information

Traveling to Switzerland

Due to COVID-19, the Swiss government has enacted entry restrictions for
travelers from certain countries and territories. 


Can I enter Switzerland from Canada?  No.

Can I enter Switzerland from the Commonwealth of the Bahamas? No

Are there exceptions?    Yes

  • Swiss citizens (if you do not have a valid Swiss passport, please contact the Consulate General in Montréal or Vancouver)
  • Permanent residents in Switzerland with proof of permanent residency.
  • EU/EFTA citizens with a valid passport
  • Canadians citizens and permanent residents in Canada for documented essential purposes only, subject to authorization.

For details please check the website for Federal Office Migration FAQ "Who is not affected by the ban no entry to Switzerland"

What do I have to do to get an exemption for essential travels? Please contact this Consulate General via email.

Do I have to present a negative PCR Covid-test before boarding the plane? 
Yes, you have to present valid proof of a negative PCR test, taken not more than 72 hours (time of specimen collection) before boarding. Children under the age of 12 years are exempt from the test requirement.

Do I have to fill out a form?
Yes, all international travelers have to fill out and submit the following form prior to boarding a flight to Switzerland:                                                      Form for incoming travelers


If I am entitled to enter Switzerland, do I need to go into quarantine? Yes, until further notice. See updates by the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.

Can I transit through Switzerland to a third country? Consult the entry FAQs by the State Secretariat for Migration SEM

Facial mask

For mask requirements in Switzerland, please consult the latest guidelines here.

  • Please note: Further obligations may apply depending on the canton.

Traveling to Canada

Important: Switzerland Travel Advisory advises against non-essential travel abroad.

Important: New regulations coming into effect regarding mandatory PCR test upon arrival in Canada and quarantine arrangements.  Government of Canada introduces further restrictions on international travel

As of January 7, 2021, air travellers aged 5 years or older are required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result before boarding international flights to Canada. Read the news release for air travellersThe 14 days of self-isolation upon arrival in Canada is still mandatory even with a negative test.

Air travellers whose final destination is Canada will be required to submit their information electronically through ArriveCAN before they board their flight.

The ArriveCAN app is available for download for Android or iPhone. Travellers can also submit their information by signing in online.

For information on Canadian measures regarding the conditions of entry and stay in Canada, please visit: Government of Canada

The practical aspects of the implementation of these measures fall within the competence of the Canadian authorities.

Important information for international students in Canada and for those who intend to study there are available on following link: Information for international students.


For information related to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) kindly consult the information and guidelines of the local authorities and the recommendations of the World Health Organisation WHO.

In Switzerland, the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) informs in regards to the Novel Coronavirus and publishes travel advice accordingly.


Swiss travelers abroad should register on the "Travel Admin App". Please make sure to download the application for iPhone or Android and to register your travel. More information on: Press release of the Federal Council (19.03.2020).


In case of emergencies outside office hours, please contact the FDFA Helpline by email or by phone at +41 800 24 7 365 or +41 58 465 33 33.

Life certificate for the Swiss pension AHV/AVS

As of May 1st 2021, the Swiss Compensation Office (SCO) will require a life certificate legalized by a local authority. If it is not possible due to the health situation (e.g. difficulties in getting to the relevant authorities), life certificates may be attested by the insured themselves by signing the document (without the official stamp). In this case, we ask that a copy of a valid identity document (with photo) be attached to the certificate, as well as a witness confirmation (PDF, 146.8 kB, English).

The requested documents may be sent by postal or electronic mail to the Consulate General or directly to the SCO by email in PDF format.  

Insured Foreign Nationals should have the life certificate legalized by a local authority before sending it to the Consulate, or, as stated above, sending it to the SCO.