Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.

Marriage / Nisuin - Information from the Swiss representation concerning marriage in Switzerland or abroad

  1. Original Marriage Certificate / Teudat Nisuin or Neeman Lemakor (from rabbinat)
  2. Original Birth Certificate of foreign partner (bilingual H/E) / Teudat Leida
  3. Tamzit Rishum Male of both spouses (from IL Ministry of Interior)
  4. Copies of foreign passports and ID cards of spouses
  5. In case the foreign spouse is divorced:
      - Original Divorce Certificate / Teudat Giruschin or Neeman Lemakor
  6. In case the foreign spouse is widowed:
      - Original Death Certificate / Teudat Ptira or Neeman Lemakor
  7. Marriage Registration Form 

Important : If the spouses have their official residency in Switzerland a “Declaration with regard to the Family name after marriage” must be handed in with the Marriage Certificate (fee required). 

Name Change

  1. Original Name Change Certificate / Teudat Shinui Shem (from IL Ministry of Interior)
  2. Copy of IL passport or ID card
  3. Tamzit Rishum Male 

Important Information

  • Civil status documents can be obtained at the Ministry of Interior (Misrad Hapnim) at the following internet address: ( and may not be older than 6 months.
  • The residency confirmation / (Tamzit Rishum Male) has a validity of 6 months from its date of issue.
  • The Swiss authorities require original documents which will not be returned.
  • The spelling of names in the latin alphabet should be checked carefully to avoid wrong inscriptions in Swiss registries.
  • The updating of civil status registries (inscriptions of marriages, divorces, name changes etc.) takes time and may consequently delay the issuance of regular CH-passports (validity 10 years for adults).
  • An Apostille is requested on all Israeli Documents.