The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Election officer beginning on 1 March 2020. This is a locally recruited position.
The position is located within the Swiss Mission’s "Financial and Legal Affairs, Human Rights, Media and Elections Division".
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated, proactive, eloquent and flexible individual, ideally with prior direct exposure to the work of the United Nations and the Swiss Foreign Ministry. The candidate should have an excellent command of English and good command of French. The working hours are dictated by the hectic environment which characterizes the United Nations - during peak phases this can mean well into the night or even into the weekend.
We are looking for a natural networker who is able to apply strong social and diplomatic skills in a competitive multilateral environment. Ideally this person has organizational know-how, is flexible, as well as assertive.
Duties and responsibilities:
- The Election Officer is the Focal Point for Switzerland's campaign to the United Nations Security Council with elections in 2022 and any other election-related matters
- This includes planning and implementation of Swiss election campaigns at UN headquarters; managing correspondence of verbal notes as well as the election-database; and representing the Swiss Mission at election-related events (like bilateral meetings with candidates, information sessions, receptions etc.).
- The Swiss Mission may assign other tasks or projects as needed.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good skills in connected and political thinking
- Preferably Swiss citizen or dual national
- University degree in international relations, political or social sciences, law or the humanities
- Full computer literacy (Microsoft Office)
- Strong organizational and drafting skills
- Excellent command of English, good command of French as second UN working language, passive knowledge of German
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and pressure and to deliver high-quality results
- Good understanding of Switzerland’s political institutions and its foreign policy
This is a full-time job, 40 hrs per week, 4 weeks paid vacation per calendar year. Salary to be agreed upon.
Please send your resume (C.V.) and cover letter by 31 January 2020 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations, Human Resources, 633 Third Avenue, 29th Floor New York, NY 10017-7606
Please do not contact the Mission by phone or fax. Applications by e-mail or mail are welcome. Do not send original documents of your degrees/diplomas etc. No acknowledgments will be sent. We will contact you in due time.