Voices for Peace (V4P)
Chad is a fragile state where bad governance, the economic crisis and the consequent austerity policy continue adding up to widespread frustrations of the Chadian population and especially of young people with a risk to become a failed state. In line with its national action plan on the Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE), by supporting the project Voices for Peace Switzerland aims at enhancing the development and broadcasting of indigenous and local peace narratives.
Conflit & fragilité
Culture / sensibilisation por le développement
Prévention des conflits
Médias & liberté de l’information
Participation démocratique et société civile
Sensibilisation au développement
- Selected local radios increase their professionalism and consolidate financial sustainability;
- Strong local peace narratives are developed and are increasingly known;
- Access to information in local languages is enhanced;
- The Chadian population has increased participation in local decision making especially with respect to themes which are relevant for the incidence of violence;
- Insight in the direct and structural causes of violent extremism in Chad available and used in national and regional debates and decision making processes;
- Population in targeted regions is better informed and participates actively in political dialogue.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
Chad presents some of the lowest development indicators in the world. In 2018, a controversial change to the constitution has bolstered the presidential powers despite opposition warnings that it would undermine democracy.
Media: The most popular, prevalent form of media is radio. Owing to the high levels of illiteracy and poverty in the country, radios have a prominent role for the population. State control of many broadcasting outlets allows few dissenting views. Coverage of criticism of the President can lead to expulsion (for foreign journalists), abduction, arbitrary detention (for Chadian journalists) and the closure of radio stations. Due to these circumstances, the independence and the professionalism of the Chadian medias is weak, the positions being often polarized between the pro-government and the opposition parties. In spite of the existence of a number of media (at least at Ndjamena level) and of a certain space for media activities, a real pluralism of the information sector is rare, and even rarer the media that provide quality information. In the 2018 World Press Freedom Index, Chad has ranked 123rd over 180 countries.
|Objectifs||The project overall goal is a behavioral change in the targeted regions, so to contribute to disseminating a culture of peace and reduce the PVE pull factors.|
- Population on the Chadian side of the Chad Lake
- Population on the Chadian side of the Chad-CAR border
- Within these broader populations, women and youth are specific targets Journalists
|Effets à moyen terme||
Principaux résultats attendus:
- One messaging platform established
- New programs specifically devoted to women and youth
- One FM radio station media center in southern Chad is launched and produces PVE radio content
- At least 75 PVE radio talk show episodes on peace
- At least 168 total PVE soap opera episodes produced
- Mentor and strengthen capacity of 5 local radio stations
Principaux résultats antérieurs: Within the domain of governance and citizenship, peace and prevention of violence, Switzerland is already supporting the following projects: CSAPR: enhancing the political debate over decision-making processes; Al Mouna Center: focusing on tolerance, interreligious dialogue and the prevention of violence through local monitoring and early warning; as well as other programs of the Swiss portfolio focusing on state building and governance of specific sectors such as health, water and rural development.
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Coopération au développement
|Partenaire de projet||
ONG internationale ou étrangère
|Coordination avec d'autres projets et acteurs||Significant links with projects of the Swiss portfolio: a) Political and interreligious dialogue; b) Elaboration of the national action plan on Res. 1325; c) Governance, Education and Rural development projects active in target areas.|
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 2'000'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 1'160'000|