Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Water Supply and Wastewater of the municipality of Fužine
Fužine is located in the region of Gorski Kotar, where Switzerland and Croatia intend to implement three water supply and wastewater projects. The uncontrolled discharge of untreated sanitary wastewater risks to pollute drinking water sources and catchment areas of the Danube and the Adriatic Sea. Moreover, the existing drinking water systems are in need of maintenance. A feasibility study, also financed through the Swiss contribution to Croatia, detects deficiencies and defines needs for action.
Épuration des eaux usées
- Contribution to the environmental protection of the groundwater and surface water in the Adriatic basin
- Sustainable economic development by ensuring better and more reliable water service quality in Fužine
- Construction of a wastewater treatment plan
- Construction of a sewer system: 22,110 metres of pipeline and 22 pumping stations
- Rehabilitation of water supply infrastructure: 14,000 metres of pipelines, 2 pumping stations and 3 water tanks
- Construction of new water supply infrastructure: 1,860 metres of pipeline
- Installation of a monitoring and control tool for drinking water (SCADA)
- The Ministry of Regional Development and EU Funds of the Republic of Croatia
The benefitting municipality of Fužine is located in the region of Gorski Kotar in the north-west of Croatia between the Capital Zagreb and the coastal city Rijeka. Roughly 2,500 inhabitants are currently living in Fužine and its surroundings. The region is sparsely populated and mountainous.
Although 94% of the households have access to the public water supply system and are provided with drinking water of good quality, the current infrastructure is in need of improvement. The main deficiencies are a lack of water supply continuity, an unreliable pressure in the water supply system and a risk of pollution because of worn-out and corrosive installations. These deficiencies are leading to an unsatisfying service quality. Today, the water loss rate of the region is estimated at 52%.
As per 2015, the sanitary wastewater of 7% of the households of Fužine and its surroundings was collected in a sewerage system and treated adequately in a treatment plant. Still, a vast amount of sanitary wastewater is either discharged uncontrolled into nature or has to be collected individually and treated at high cost elsewhere.
Inhabitants of the agglomeration of Fužine
2,200 metres of water supply pipelines haven been built or rehabilitated
The rehabilitation of the water supply facilities is ongoing
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Contribution suisse à l'UE élargie
|Partenaire de projet||
Partenaire de mise en œuvre
Croatian Waters – Hrvatske vode
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 5’195’487 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 399’452|
|Phases du projet||Phase 10 30.05.2017 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours)|