Planning to move abroad? People emigrating from Switzerland need to clear a number of administrative hurdles. Some key points are set out below along with information on who to contact.

Am I eligible?

Certain residence permits have fixed age limits, particularly if you go abroad for education or training purposes (as a trainee or an au pair, for example) or on an exchange programme (youth exchange, aid/social project, etc.). The official representation responsible for your destination country (an embassy or consulate in Switzerland) can tell you which residence permits you are eligible for.

Requirement to report to the authorities

What are the obligations and rules when deregistering at the old place of residence and when entering, registering and staying abroad?

Customs formalities

In the section below you can find out about the customs requirements applying to removal goods, vehicles and pets and where you can go for further information.

Military or civilian service

If you are required to complete military or civilian service and are going abroad for more than 12 months, or if you deregister, you will need to apply for an exemption from service. Further information is available under "Compulsory military service", "Alternative civilian service" and "Military service exemption tax".

Education and training


Swiss banks and services for Swiss nationals living abroad

If you are moving abroad, it is advisable to discuss your needs with your bank early on, as many people living outside Switzerland have little or no access to Swiss financial services. Further information is set out in the relevant sections below.

Social security

If you are emigrating, there are a number of important issues to consider, including the social security aspects. An overview of relevant pension, health insurance and accident and unemployment insurance rules is provided below. 

Driving licences