Publications and multimedia
- Over the last 10 years, the massive outmigration for foreign employment mostly to the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Malaysia have changed the livelihoods and social structure of rural Nepal. In 2011, 450,000 Nepalis left the country to work abroad, earning 23% of the GDP. The remittance inflows into rural districts dwarf other flows of finance and the absence of men from agricultural and other labour force had severe effects on agricultural production and gender relations. Hence, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation in Nepal commissioned this study to understand better how development interventions have to adjust to this changed context.
- Climate change policies in Nepal are being prepared, one after the other, but the analysis indicate that they are not community centric.
- Global literature review of forest tenure and forest cover indicates that local rule making and the compliance of rules matter the most for forest cover change around the globe.
- Does Tenure Matter? Assessment of Change in Forest Cover in Nepal
Forest cover change analysis of Melamchi area has fascinating results. Almost 33% forest area has increased in 20 years. Good news.
- South Asia Tenure Assessment clearly show that despite some progress, it is long way to go for South Asian Countries to make the forest policy and tenure reform community centric
- Switzerland was one of the first countries to sign a cooperation agreement with Nepal. In the 50 years since, the strategies may have changed, but the goal remains the same, namely working with the Nepali partners to foster conditions that bring about positive change in the lives of men and women of all social groups. Over five decades, the Swiss and its Nepali partners have encountered difficulties, celebrated successes and borne many significant achievements. This is reflected in an ever evolving understanding of the development challenge.
Documents from closed Rural Health Development Programme
Asia Brief 02/2011
Community Empowerment for Health - Rural Health Development Project
Annual Report 2009-10 - Rural Health Development Project
End of phase report District Roads Support Programme
Uterine Prolapse in Nepal The Rural Health Development Project's Response
Stories of Change - after the study tour