EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY NATIONAL PROGRAM OFFICER SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
National Program Officer Sustainable Economic Development
From: 1st of January 2022
Location: Rwanda, Kigali
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is Switzerland’s international cooperation agency within the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA). SDC is responsible for the overall coordination of development activities, as well as for the humanitarian aid delivered by the Swiss Confederation.
The SDC's activities in the Great Lakes region cover three priority themes: governance, employment and economic development as well as health. The SDC coordinates its activities in Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo within a regional strategy. The head office is located in Kigali, Rwanda.
As part of the renewal of its regional strategy, the SDC in Rwanda is looking for candidates for the recruitment of a:
NATIONAL PROGRAM OFFICER SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
SDC is committed to promoting participation, transparency and accountability, equal treatment and non-discrimination, as well as ensuring the effectiveness of its own activities and those of its partners. It views to contribute to an environment that strengthens rule of law and human rights, gender equality, balance of power and sustainable economic development.
Switzerland supports economic development in the Great Lakes region through a program targeting in priority young people and women by creating employment opportunities out of agriculture, promoting professional skills, facilitation of cross-border trade and strengthening the construction material value chain.
Beyond bilateral development activities, in order to favor green growth, a rising number of global cooperation and multilateral activities target Rwanda, as a regional lighthouse. These include activities in sustainable urbanization, circular economy, food security, research for development, and finance for sustainable development.
The National Program Officer will be under the direct supervision of the Head of Domain Employment and Economic Development and will coordinate the Swiss activities in Rwanda in global sustainable development and multilateral programs.
Master's degree or equivalent in sustainable development, environmental sciences, agro-ecology, green growth or equivalent.
- Working experience in international development cooperation on project and program implementation and management in sustainable economic development;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in sustainable economic development with a global vision as well as in management of multilateral programs.
- Fluency in French, English and Kinyarwanda, written and oral;
- Knowledge of Swahili is an added advantage.
§ Good knowledge of the sector of sustainable economic development, green growth and financing for sustainable development, and related issues in the Great Lakes region;
§ Capacity for developing visions and strategies for sustainable economic development and to realize them by means of objectives, conceptual work and operational procedures;
- Ability to plan ,monitor and evaluate tools for cooperation programs and projects (PCM), especially in a multilateral setting;
- High individual autonomy and a high sense of personal responsibility, including creativity and innovative capacity and willingness to learn and to embrace change;
- Good ability to establish confidence among partners and colleagues, including an excellent ability to network and to work in an team;
§ Strong communication skills, including intercultural communication and capacity to work in multicultural teams ;
- Sensitivity and interest to further develop the gender dimension within the domain of employment and economic development;
- Proven leadership skills in terms of policy dialogue and program implementation / oversight;
- Good computer skills, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook);
- Excellent writing skills in French and English;
- Interest and availability to carry out field trips in Rwanda and in the Great Lakes region.
- Contribute to managing the operational, administrative and financial components of the Swiss activities in global cooperation activities in Rwanda;
- Design, planning, implementation and follow-up of Switzerland's multi-bi interventions in Rwanda;
- Participation in steering committees of global cooperation programs including Rwanda;
- Coordination of activities of SDC funded research programs in Rwanda;
- Organizational, conceptual and technical support to implementing partners.
Coordination and advocacy
- Member of the domain of employment and economic development within the regional program, active contribution to regional processes and knowledge management;
- Active participation in policy dialogue and advocacy with partners and stakeholders (donors, UN, government) on issues of sustainable development, finance for development
- Representation of SDC in coordination groups within the thematic of sustainable development (eg sector working group, etc.);
- Participation in SDC Networks on climate change and food security, exchange with HQ on related topics;
- Active participation in the annual high points and events of SDC’s Great Lakes program (Mid-term review, Annual planning) and engagement for the promotion of cross-cutting themes Gender, Governance, Climate change;
- Monitoring of sustainable development activities and opportunities in Rwanda;
- Focal point for Climate change, Food security and Finance for sustainable development.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written exam to confirm their technical, linguistic and editorial skills.
Duty Station: Kigali with field visits in the Great Lakes’ region (Burundi and South-Kivu)
Occupancy rate: 100%
Estimated Start Date: From January 2022
Supporting documents to be sent:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of diplomas
- Working certificates
- Three reference persons with their contacts (phone number and email).
- 1 recent passport photo
In view of the COVID-19 situation, please send your application by email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org the subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title. "Application National Program Officer Sustainable Economic Development".
Closing date: 30th November 2021
Applications will be treated confidentially. Applications that are incomplete or have reached SDC after expiration of the application deadline will not be taken into consideration. Only candidates, who meet the required profile, have followed the application procedures and are shortlisted will be contacted.
Female candidacies are highly encouraged.
For additional information, please visit the SDC Great lakes website: