The Swiss Baldegg sisters first arrived in Tanzania in 1921, together with the Capucine sisters. Since then, they have worked extensively across the country mainly in the health and education sectors. The Swiss Baldegg order founded a dispensary in Ifakara in 1927 and added a maternity ward in 1937, which later became the St Francis Hospital, today a designated district hospital for Kilombero district in Morogoro Region. The sisters also opened primary and secondary schools, and founded two other congregations: The Mahenge Sisters and the Dada Wadogo. Both of them are carrying on the work of the Baldegg sisters.
The Embassy has always welcomed with great pleasure the Baldegg sisters and other missionaries to the 1st of August celebration at the Swiss Residence. While three sisters are still remaining in Tanzania, we wish our compatriots who returned back home a peaceful and well deserved retirement in the Baldegg Convent!