Jobs at Swiss representations in the U.S. will be published here.
The Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) regulary seeks qualified and motivated employees.
Job vacancies will be published through the state job web portal. You can tailor your search towards your requirements through various search criteria.
Embassy of Switzerland in Washington D.C.
Open positions will be posted here.
Consulate General of Switzerland in New York
Trade Commissioner Export in the Swiss Business Hub USA Team
Starting Date: May 1, 2023 (or tbd)
The Consulate General of Switzerland in New York is looking for a qualified candidate for a permanent position as Trade Commissioner for the Swiss Business Hub USA (SBH USA). This is a locally recruited position within the SBH USA headquarter at the Consulate General of Switzerland in New York.
Affiliated with Switzerland Global Enterprise, the Trade & Investment promotion agency of Switzerland, Swiss Business Hub USA is mandated by the Swiss government to promote Switzerland as a business location for U.S. companies and to assist Swiss SME’s looking to enter the US market.
Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, curious and creative with the ability to work in a collaborative environment. He/she must be open-minded with a strong ability to listen and ask the right questions. He/she is a communicative and outgoing personality and easily adapts in multicultural settings. He/she has a sound understanding of the U.S. business environment and ideally brings along an extensive business network across various industry sectors. An understanding of the importance of networking and the ability to build relationships across various levels of business, government and industry associations are essential. Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently, attention to details, and multilingual (German or French and English) are prerequisites. As part of the SBH USA team, you will be based in New York but will collaborate closely with the entire U.S. team (LA, SF, ATL and Boston). Willingness and flexibility to travel is expected.
Due to the nature of the work, preference will be given to a Swiss national (or to those candidates who have a relationship with Switzerland) with U.S. work experience and an understanding of the U.S. economic landscape.
Additional duties beyond those listed here will be determined and assigned as needed. Training will be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide export promotion services to Swiss SME’s looking to enter the U.S. market; render in-house export consulting services for Swiss SMEs (such as market research); management, supervision and quality control of outsourced mandates executed on behalf of Swiss Business Hub USA.
- Proactive acquisition of export mandates from Swiss SMEs and identification of business opportunities for Swiss SMEs in selected U.S. industry sectors.
- Compilation of market intelligence and useful information on projects, public tenders and economic developments with relevance for Swiss SMEs.
- Participation in sector specific trade fairs and conferences (East Coast and Mid-West).
- Planning, organization and execution of promotional events, roundtable discussions and trade shows (East Coast and Mid-West).
- Profound understanding of the Swiss and US business environment
- Excellent negotiation and presentation skills
- Very good organizational skills, high degree of personal integrity and trustworthiness
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience in a related field
- Excellent command of English, German and/or French languages
- Master degree (law / business / economics or international relations) or equivalent
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office
- Holders of a Green Card or a US work permit are given priority
- Inviting work atmosphere as part of a US-Swiss team
- Interesting work in a foreign representation
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- 100% matching in 401 k plan
- Paid vacation
- American and some Swiss holidays
- Centrally located in midtown Manhattan
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and salary expectations in electronic format (word or pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write into the subject line “SBH –Trade Commissioner” to ensure timely processing of your application. Please do not contact the Consulate General or the Permanent Mission. Only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: March 30, 2023
Consulate General of Switzerland in New York
The Consulate General in New York offers 3 internship positions to qualified candidates in the following sections:
- Economic Affairs and Communication
- Culture and Education
- Swiss Business Hub in San Francisco
The purpose of these academic internships is to offer students or recent graduates an opportunity to discover the activities of a Swiss representation abroad and to become familiar with the diverse aspects of a diplomatic career.
All positions are full-time (40 hours per week) and run for 6 months. Remuneration for the positions is USD 3,400 per month.
For details and how to apply, read the document on internships.