How do I apply for a work permit under the YMP?

1. Finding a job

Before you apply for a work permit under the YMP, you have to find a trainee position. Click on the link below to find out more about how to find a trainee position in Switzerland. 

2. Fill out the application

To obtain a trainee authorization, you need to provide the following documents:

1) A work permit application, which must be submitted in duplicate. Click on the link at the bottom of this page to download the application form.

2) An original version of the contract of employment must be submitted in duplicate. Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download a Standard employment agreement for trainees, which can be filled out by the employer. As outlined in the Standard employment agreement, the contract of employment must contain:

  • Type of employment and training program (job description, work schedule, attendance of courses etc.).
  • Duration of employment (should not begin before work authorization has been issued. Consider 6 to 8 weeks processing time from the day the application has been submitted)
  • Salary, probation period, term of notice
  • Working hours/week, paid vacation entitlement
  • Health and accident insurance coverage (according to the Health Insurance Act LAMAL)
  • Travel expenses

3) 2 copies of the passport

4) 2 copies of a diploma or certificate of completed studies or vocational training. For students who are still in training, a proof of registration at a university or post-secondary institution in Canada, or copy of student card

5) 2 copies of Curriculum Vitae

3. Submitting your application

Once you have made sure that your application contains all the required documents, you are invited to send it to the Consulate General of Switzerland competent for your domicile. Processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the day your application is submitted. See below to which Consulate General you must send your application:

  • Consulate General of Switzerland Montréal for the provinces: 
    Québec, Ontario, Manitoba, New-Brunswick, Nova-Scotia, Prince-Edward-Island, Newfoundland and Labrador as well as Territory of Nunavut

  • Consulate General of Switzerland Vancouver for the provinces and territories of:
    British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and Yukon

4. Authorized visa

Once your application for a youth mobility program has been approved by the Swiss authorities, please consult the following link to find out which documents must be submitted to the Swiss Consulate General responsible for your place of residence:

Authorized Visa