Contribution to UNRWA's Programme Budget 2017-2020
UNRWA is one of Switzerland’s key multilateral partners in the Middle East, due to its regional outreach and its important contributions towards stability and peace in the region. UNRWA overall delivers assistance and protection services to 5.3 million registered Palestine refugees. Under its Programme Budget, UNRWA ensures universal access to quality primary health care and to basic education to Palestine refugees. It also provides targeted relief and social services to needy poor refugees.
Assistenza umanitaria & RRC
Assistenza sanitaria primaria
Protezione, accesso & sicurezza
- Medical services provided to 3.6 Mio refugees per year. The health reform improved quality of care, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- 500,000 students attended 700 schools. The education reform generated positive classroom changes.
- 300’000 refugees supported by a social safety net (food and cash/e-vouchers). Emergency assistance reached 1.4 million conflict-affected refugees.
- Efforts undertaken to diversify resource mobilization towards private sector and regional partners (mainly Gulf States).
- Establishment of a Protection division in 2015 following the adoption of the Protection policy in 2012.
- Switzerland facilitated, in its AdCom/SubCom role, the implementation of the reforms envisaged in the MTS. It helped increasing trust among members and it has improved the overall quality of SubCom meetings.
- Switzerland’s financial support contributed to catalytic initiatives enabling internal reforms in programmes (health and education) and management (putting in place the Protection division, resource mobilization, communication and relations with staff).
- Ensure universal access to quality and comprehensive primary health care; prevent and control diseases.
- Ensure universal access to basic education; enhance quality; improve access for learners with special needs.
- Reduce abject poverty; improve employability; improve camps’ environment.
- Ensure service delivery matches protection needs and standards; advance rights of refugees by promoting respect for human rights and IHL; ensure registration is carried out in accordance with international standards.
- Management reforms are systematized to strengthen UNRWA efficiency and its capacity to serve Palestine refugees.
- Resource mobilization efforts attract the required additional resources.
- Vulnerable individuals and communities benefit from UNRWA’s strengthened protection response.
- UNRWA’s ability to carry out its mandate is safeguarded by securing adequate and predictable financial resources and by implementing measures to improve financial stability.
- Support efficient and effective management by ensuring that reforms (i.e. resource mobilization, new budget process, internal communication) are adequately funded and supported by stakeholders.
- Agenzia delle Nazioni Unite per il soccorso e l'occupazione dei profughi palestinesi nel Vicino Oriente
|Area di competenza||
UNRWA was established in 1949 with a temporary mandate by UN General Assembly to respond to the needs of Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and the occupied Palestinian territory, until a durable and just solution is found to their plight.
|Priorità strategiche della Svizzera e dell'organizazione e loro coerenza||
UNRWA’s mandate is in line with: Message on International Cooperation; Swiss foreign policy priorities; Strategic Framework Near East; and Cooperation Strategies for oPt and Middle East.
|Risultati dell'impegno dell'organizzazione nella fase precedente||
|Risultati dell'impegno svizzero nella fase precedente||
|Effetti a medio termine ottenuti dall'attuale impegno dell'organizzazione||
|Effetti a medio termine ottenuti dall'attuale impegno svizzero||
The outcomes are for the period 2016-18 and will be pursued through Switzerland’s AdCom/SubCom role (facilitation and steering) and providing policy and financial support to specific initiatives.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 92’000’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 92’047’000 Budget dell'organizzazione CHF 3’294’560’000|
|Posizione della Svizzera nella graduatoria dei maggiori donatori||
6th donor to the Programme Budget; 10th donor taking into account Programme Budget, Emergency Appeals and Projects together.
30 Members and Observers of the Advisory Commission, incl. host countries. The top five donors to the Programme Budget are USA, EC, UK, Sweden and Japan.
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
Switzerland actively seeks and facilitates coordination with donors and host countries. As Chair of the Advisory Commission (July 2016-June 2017) this role is even more prominent, together with the ability to exert systemic influence and to support UNRWA.
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 46 01.01.2017 - 31.12.2020 (Completed)Fase 45 01.01.2016 - 31.01.2017 (Completed) Fase 44 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)