Education for Sustainable Development in Mongolia
Education is a key factor for achieving the goals of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development in Mongolia. ESD as concept that aims at integrating principles, values and practices of Sustainable Development into all aspects of education shall be anchored both in the learning plans and the normative framework of the Mongolian education system through developing the pedagogical skills of teachers, local authorities and educational centres as well as awareness-building of students and their communities in aimags (districts).
- Targeted trainings and on-the-job trainings are organised to deepen the knowledge of ESD at macro, meso and micro levels.
- Quality resources and practical tools for ESD application are available to teachers and other practitioners.
- ESD model schools are identified and supported to further integrate ESD effectively in education and school management, as well as in school-community initiatives
- The ESD-based core curriculum reform of secondary education was endorsed and is fully operational in 768 schools, involving 19,249 teachers (73.4 percent female) and 147,031 students (49.3 percent female) nationwide since the 2016 academic year.
- The Action Plan for GD Policy was developed with support from the Project and was approved by GoM in January 2016.
- Adopting the recommendations from the study on gender integration in education, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Sports (MECSS) issued a gender policy for the education sector.
- The elaboration of the National Program on ESD was supported by the Project.
- Central State of South East
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- Settore privato straniero Sud/Est
- Settore privato svizzero
- SDC Field Office
- ADB TA-9376 project: “Support to Development of the master plan for education sector”; “Improving quality and access to education” project
- WB/SDC Mainstreaming Social Accountability in Mongolia project
- The National Programme for Education for Sustainable Development (lead MET)
After the adoption of the SDGs in 2016, much more attention was focused globally on Sustainable Development (SD) and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). The role of education is highlighted in SDG 4.
In 2016, Mongolia adopted the “Mongolian Vision for Sustainable Development 2030” contextualising the global goals. Education, at all levels, is considered a key aspect for the SD. With the project phase 1 support, from November 2015, all schools (778) in Mongolia and the institutions supporting them started to apply ESD principles in teaching and management. Green Development policy was approved in 2014, according to which provincial authorities apply Sustainable Development (SD)/Green Development (GD) in their local context. GoM adopted the National Program on ESD in 2018, which aims at disseminating ESD to public. However, social and economic pillars of ESD are yet to be adequately integrated in curricula and practiced, for that local capacities need to be strengthened.
|Obiettivi||The overall goal of the project remains to promote an environmentally, socially and economically responsible, equitable, and sustainable future for the people of Mongolia through ESD.|
The direct beneficiaries will be the students currently enrolled in UB and the project aimags who will acquire the knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes to address ecological, social, economic and cultural issues related to SD.
Other beneficiaries of the project will be all the relevant staff/experts of the implementing agencies and the teachers in schools of selected aimags and districts of UB.
|Effetti a medio termine||The necessary competences are embedded within the Mongolian education system, both at central level, among policy and decision-makers, and at local level, among teachers, practitioners and local authorities, to ensure a sustainable application of ESD.|
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
Instituzione statale straniera
SDC will recruit through an international tender an ESD expert for the technical assistance at macro level. Two NGOs, with education and environmental competences respectively, will be selected through a local tender.
A contract will also be established with the host governmental agency, Institute of teacher professional development (ITPD) or Institute of Education and research (MIER).
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 2’611’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 2’145’610|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.06.2019 - 31.12.2023 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.12.2013 - 31.12.2018 (Completed)|