OHCHR - Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in the oPt
This support to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the oPt aims to contribute to promoting and protecting human rights in the oPt and enhancing prospects for Palestinians to live in dignity, prosperity and peace with the State of Israel.
Autoridad Nacional Palestina
Derechos humanos (incluidos los derechos de las mujeres)
Desarrollo de los servicios legales y judiciales
Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDE GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
Sub-Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDEDerechos humanos
Desarrollo legal y judicial
Temas transversales Derechos humanos
El proyecto apoya también mejoras en la organización contraparte
Tipo de ayuda Contribución básica
Número de proyecto
|Contexto||Characterized by decades-long Israeli military occupation of the Palestinian territory (the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip), the ongoing closure of the Gaza Strip, a persistent intra-Palestinian divide and a shrinking democratic and civic space, Palestinians remain under a protracted humanitarian and human rights crisis. This has been compounded by the COVID-19 pandemic, with dramatic impacts on all aspects of the population’s life. Hence, there is a persistent need to promote and respect international human rights law (IHRL) and international humanitarian law (IHL), as well as enhancing accountability of all duty-bearers.|
|Objetivos||To promote and protect the effective enjoyment and full realization of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all people, without discrimination, in the oPt.|
Duty bearers: Palestinian Authority, de facto Authority in Gaza and State of Israel
Other stakeholders: Israeli, Palestinian and international NGOs, Local and international media outlets, the UN system in oPt and Member States
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Guided by the UN Human Rights Operational Management Plan (oMP) 2018-2023
Participation: Strengthened and respected laws, policies, protecting the right to participate and civic space, by both Israeli and Palestinian authorities.
Non-Discrimination: Women's rights, youth, and people with disabilities and the rights of LGBTIQs are respected, targeting both Israeli and Palestinians duty bearers.
Peace &Security: Human rights are integrated in humanitarian strategies, planning and response, and central to the COVID pandemic response.
Accountability: International Law obligations is respected by Israeli and Palestinian duty bearers as well as Member States, international and regional actors.
Development: International human rights obligations as well as the SDGs are sustainably advanced.
Mechanisms: Capacities and commitments of Palestinian duty bearers and rights holders are enhanced to implement the outcomes of the international human rights mechanisms.
1. Safeguarding civic space (freedoms of expression, assembly, and association) by all three duty-bearers, with all duty-bearers being aware of their obligations to protect civic space.
2. Awareness of national authorities and civil society of human rights in elections is raised and HR violations are monitored.
3. Improve advocacy on the rights of persons with disabilities and women’s rights by advancing human rights based approach.
4. Humanitarian Protection cluster working groups are guided by HR and IHL, with a focus on including vulnerable groups and greater knowledge of HR standards in COVID-19 emergency response mainstreamed into UNCT and national authorities COVID-19 response.
5. Support Palestinian Authorities and key national stakeholders to incorporate human rights treaty obligations domestically.
6. Produce reliable and accurate documentation on arbitrary detention, ill-treatment and torture by both Israeli and Palestinian authorities.
7. UN entities in the oPt are increasingly utilizing the human rights treaties and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the National Policy Agenda in their advocacy work and technical assistance.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
1. Accountability: Provided legal analysis of several Palestinian laws (i.e. Family Protection Bill, National Preventive Mechanism (NPM)), conducted training of law enforcement officers with access to 27 detention facilities. Palestinian duty bearers agreed to sustain a Defacto moratorium on death penalty and provided several mandated reports to international forums (HRC and UN General Assembly).
2. Participation: Monitored laws, policies and practices to protect civic space with focus on Women HRDs.
3. Non-discrimination: OHCHR-oPt was accredited for UN HR-Gender in Jan 2020, to carry out gender-sensitive monitoring and activities on Women rights (focus on GBV and gender-related killings). A special report on the situation of women and girls in the oPt was submitted to HRC.
4. Development aspects: Technical discussions conducted with Palestinian Ministry of Justice and Interior to mainstream HR standards and to integrate SDG 16 targets and indicators. OHCHR led the humanitarian Protection Cluster and contributed to guiding the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) with legal analysis and engaged with key protection actors.
5. Mechanisms: Continued to provide guidance and support about interaction with HR treaty bodies (CEDAW, CERD and CRPD). Specific training on CAT and ICCPR was conducted.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, occupied Palestinian territory (OHCHR)
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
- Synergies and coordination with SDC partners: the Independent Commission of Human rights (ICHR), Israeli and Palestinian NGOs supported by Switzerland, WHO and OCHA (the Humanitarian Fund (HF)
- Continuous coordination and consultation with Swiss actors in the region and in Switzerland.
- Coordination with other interventions conducted by like-minded countries at local level (e.g. informal HR platform; EU Civil society roadmap).
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1’500’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 500’000 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto suizo CHF 2’120’000 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 8’000’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 99 01.01.2025 - 31.12.2029 (Active) Fase 2 01.01.2022 - 31.12.2024 (Fase en curso) Fase 1 01.01.2018 - 31.12.2021 (Completed)|