Reaching the age of legal majority abroad – your military obligations

You are a Swiss citizen living abroad, registered with your family at a Swiss representation and have reached the age of 18, the legal majority age in Switzerland, while abroad. Once you reach this age, the Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence will ask you to register separately from your family in the Register of the Swiss Abroad.

At the same time you will also receive a leaflet providing information for Swiss citizens abroad concerning military service, which is available in German, French or Italian. It contains all relevant information about military service together with links to various pages of the Swiss Armed Forces' website. 

Please contact the Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence if you are not called up to register for military service after you reach the age of majority – your 18th birthday – and you have not received the above-mentioned leaflet.

Competent Swiss representation abroad

Last update 04.07.2024


+41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

365 days a year – around the clock 

The Helpline FDFA deals as central contact point with matters relating to consular services.

Fax +41 58 462 78 66

vCard Helpline FDFA (VCF, 5.6 kB)


Phone free of charge from abroad with Skype

You will receive an error message if the Skype application is not installed on your computer or smartphone. If such a message appears, please proceed to install it right off, simply by clicking on the following link:
Download Skype

Skype: helpline-eda

Start of page