The FDFA provides information only on a periodic basis and does not guarantee the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the information provided. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act stipulates that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

Peaceful water near a historical temple in Bangkok.
Peaceful water near a historical temple in Bangkok. © Unsplash

Swiss citizens do not need a visa for a tourist stay of up to 30 days in Thailand. To enter Thailand, visitors must have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry, a return or onward travel ticket and proof that they have sufficient funds for their stay.


  • Visitors who enter Thailand by land are issued a visa valid for a maximum of 30 days.
  • Carry your passport: by law, foreign visitors must carry their passport with them at all times in Thailand.
  • If you fail to comply with Thai entry regulations you are liable for heavy penalties. If you overstay your visa you may be deported and banned from visiting Thailand again. You are strongly advised to observe the purpose and duration of your stay as stated in your visa or entry form.

Swiss citizens who plan to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days require a visa to enter the country, which they can apply for at the Thai embassy in Switzerland.

Thailand has the following visa categories:

  • Transit visa (TS; S; O and C)
  • Tourist visa (TR and MT)
  • Non-immigrant visa (F; B; IM; IB; ED; M; R; RS; EX and O) •
  • Diplomatic visa / official visa
  • Courtesy visa

Visa for Thailand

Registration with the Swiss representation abroad 


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page